[ppml] Fwd: Keeping in reserve

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 5 15:46:39 EDT 2006

> Is there any reason PI /48s shouldn't be allocated with the bisection
> method, thus removing the need to reserve space?

I too, have the same question. I think it is short-sighted to assume
that every end site will find a /48 to be enough space. Maybe most
will. But there is no reason to lock that in today if not really
necessary. So, better to allocate using sparse allocation. Keep our
options open.

We have lots of address space in IPv6. Let's continue to give the need
to preserve aggregation adequate weight and consideration.

Thomas