[ppml] Staff Comments Regarding Policy Proposal 2006-3

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 5 13:14:17 EDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 5:38 AM, Sandy Murphy wrote:

>>>   The policy duplicates
>>>  capabilities of the routing registry and could be addressed by
>>> enhancing
>>>  this existing functionality.
>
> The policy as stated is deliberately agnostic as to where the
> collected
> data could be stored.  It could be stored in the routing registry, for
> example.  In early discussions of this AS collection, there was an
> opinion expressed that any data collected in whois templates needed
> to be kept in the whois database.  But that's probably a staff
> concern.

As was discussed at the Montreal meeting, I just don't see the gain to
adding this to the template.  If a recipient wants to provide this
information,
there is a process for providing it in a much more meaningful and useful
form using RPSL in ARIN's (or any of several other) routing registries.

The effort being expended on this, in my opinion, would be better spent
making it easier for people to use an IRR than mucking with the existing
assignment/allocation/reassignment templates.

Owen