[ppml] Staff Comments Regarding Policy Proposal 2006-3

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Oct 5 10:57:11 EDT 2006

> >The April meeting also saw a panel presentation about a resource
certificate
> >PKI and route origination attestations based on that PKI.
>
> A presentation on this was given (again) at RIPE 53 this week.  Geoff
> Huston began it with an observation that he has covered this topic
> quite often in the past year or so, and he has come to the
> realization that the approach being taken in presentations probably
> ought to be modified.  If I caught this right - he said it was like
> talking about driving a car and he had been boring us with the
> details of the internal combustion engine and not spending time on
> the techniques and tools of driving well.

I sat through Geoff's presentation and was horrified
at the complexity of it all so I did a fair bit of
research after the meeting. X.509 is a lot like that
machine gun with the replay feature in Fifth Element.
It seems to have ever type of portable weapon known
to man all built into a nice compact portable package.
It even has a little red button that makes it blow
up in your face.

It's far worse than a square peg in a round hole.
X.509 is trying to sell us a big fancy weapon when
all we need is a simple key. We are facing a simple
administrative problem that can be solved with some
simple administrative techniques. No bleeding edge
technology is needed.

--Michael Dillon