[ppml] Staff Comments Regarding Policy Proposal 2006-1

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Oct 5 08:16:46 EDT 2006

At 12:05 +0100 10/5/06, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>I would welcome a clear definition that describes
>the purpose and scope of the whois directory. Potentially

Me too.  I applaud Leo's attempt over the past few years, even if
he eventually pulled the work from the table.  We need it, and/but
it's a lot of work.

>>  If on the other hand this policy would permit the suppression of
>>  information being presented to ARIN, staff has additional concerns to
>>  those described above.
>
>Good example of the ambiguity of current policy.
>This needs to be fixed so that the operational need
>for information is handled entirely separately from
>the definition of which information is collected for
>the express purpose of publishing it.

Until seeing this clarification from the staff, I hadn't thought
deeply enough about the issue.

The data ought to go in, regardless.  But the current proposed
change does not address this.

NeuStar

Secrets of Success #107: Why arrive at 7am for the good parking space?
Come in at 11am while the early birds drive out to lunch.