[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue May 2 11:01:54 EDT 2006

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> The site still have their own globally unique address space (the
> IPv6 PI they most likely can soon get from ARIN). Their upstreams
> are providing them with each a chunk out of their PA space.
> ....[snap].... translating the destination to the PA prefix of
> it's choice, which might be influenced by the sending side. On
> the wire thus the PA space is used, while when the packet crosses
> the S1/2/R they will be the same as the original.

This is exactly MHAP as I designed it 4 years ago. Nothing new
technically, what makes you think the IETF is going to adopt it now?

> Owen DeLong wrote:
> Sure. In the long run, a modified BGP or new routing protocol will
> be required.  However, in the short run, I think we can use existing
> BGP in concert with a scalable solution which will buy time to do
> the changes to the routing protocol for later optimization.

I wrote the following text 4 years ago, still is on the original page.

> - It is not out of scope to discuss long-term solutions that require
> major undertakings (such as replacing BGP), but the focus should be
> on extracting out of these solutions the ideas that could be re-used
> for solutions that have a shorter time-to-market.

Same question as to Jeroen: what makes you think you can deliver a
short-term solution now? Did you call a BoF to start with? Talked with
the shim6 people to know how they feel about a 180 degrees turn?

Michel.