[ppml] IP-v6 Needs (RE: a modified proposal 2005-8)

Davis, Terry L terry.l.davis at boeing.com
Thu Mar 23 14:52:43 EST 2006

Tony

This isn't solely an IP address problem and I certainly was not
proposing a /128 for everything at all.  As I said when I responded last
week:

"Not at all!  I do think that we have to offer reasonable IP address
stability (i.e. I don't think that services like local government, EMS,
power, etc should ever change IP addresses for a physical location.)

We need to come up with some stable personal and residential DNS and
email schemes as we develop v6.  USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc all deliver to my
home address so why can't my current ISP deliver to a stable email/DNS
name that is either personal or residential based?"

And as I said also in some of the previous posts, a large corporation
will simply not accept "provider furnished addressing" for business
reasons (and possibly legal reasons).  Likewise I do not see government
being able to sign "perpetual contracts" with any vendor in order
maintain their IP addressing.

Take care
Terry

PS: Nor I do ever want to consider the risks that would be inherent in
re-addressing aircraft because the manufacturer, government air traffic
control service, or airline changed ISP's.