[ppml] IPv6 initial allocation policy

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Mar 13 22:00:10 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 04:51:09PM -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> > you did notice the modifier... "roughly"??
>
> yep.  and considering how much of the net today is behind
> nats, i think you're idea of rough is not somthing i would
> advise anyone to try and hike across.

	so... just how -much- of the net today is behind
	nats?  20%? 80%?  99.8%  --- and can those networks
	be said to be on the net in any realistic sense?
	(ok, pragmatically you can make that argument, that
	nats/algs are just another gateway linking up disparate
	bits of infrastructure and i'll likely believe you)
	but i'm not sure if you are talking the count of
	protocol stacks behind ALG/NAT boxen, or subnets behind
	ALG/NAT boxen.  and as far as the ASN boundary btwn BGP
	speakers is concerned, do we need to care?

--bill