[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - revised text

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Mar 13 16:36:59 EST 2006

The HD ratio is calculated as the ratio of the log of the number of
allocated 'objects' divided by the log of the maximum number of allocatable
objects

If you have been assigned a /32 then the number of allocatable units of /56
is 24 bits, or 16,777216 allocatable objects

If you assigned a single /48 then you have assigned 8 bits, or 256
allocated objects.

Your HD ratio for the assignment efficiency an address block with a single
/48 assignment is log(256) / log(16777216) = 0.33333

The proposed HD metric to consider a block fully utilised is 0.94.

This implies that a /32 would be considered fully utilised if you had
allocated 24,154 /48s to end sites, or if you allocated 6,183,424 /56s to
end sites, or 1,582,956,544 /64s to end sites

A more detailed example may see you allocating 2,000 /48s, 2,000,000 /56s
and 10,000,000 /64s - in /56 units this corresponds to 512,000, 2,000,000
and 39,062.5 /56 units respectively. Their total is 2,551,062.5, and the
corresponding HD ratio for a /32 address block with this allocation spread
is 0.88

regards,

     Geoff