[ppml] FYI - ARIN in court for refusing to transfer ip block

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jul 5 03:04:56 EDT 2006

Visiting internetgovernance.org site for unrelated reasons, I found
copy of the following legal action against ARIN:
   http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/kremen.pdf

The lawsuit is from Gary Kremen (the guy who originally registered
sex.com and from who it was stolen by M. Cohen) and is due to ARIN
refusal to do a transfer (of blocks & ASNs previously used by Cohen).
My impression is that they are talking about legacy ip space (probably
/16, possibly more then one) although actual ip blocks are not directly
mentioned. Of note is that Mr. Kremen (or his attorney) somehow thinks
that ip blocks can be sold as a property (page 8: "The enhanced value
of large NETBLOCKS is reflected in the marketplace, in that NETBLOCKS
are bought, sold, and licensed like other valuable property or resources;
NETBLOCK holdings are factored into the valuations of both public and
private companies worldwide").

In any case those interested should really just read it for yourself
(its not as cumbersome as other similar-type docs I've seen) and those
on AC and BoT are even mentioned as kind-of co-conspirators. And perhaps
in the future meeting ARIN legal council should consider making public
statement about this and explaining ARIN's position.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net