[ppml] 2005-1 status

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Jan 30 14:21:21 EST 2006

Thus spake "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com>
>> So, just to be clear, a site that is multihomed and in one physical
>> location will get a /44 ?
>
> thanks for asking.  this is the bit that confuses me the most.
> i thought that this was precisely where the /48 break point was
> intended.  i am confused here somewhere.

Are we really proposing that a leaf organization get a /48 per location?

I think the rest of the proposal is a step in the right direction, but I
have a hard time rationalizing more than a /48 per single leaf org unless
they justify the need for more subnets.

Think about it: McDonalds would qualify for a /31 (or so) under this
proposal, as much or more than most ISPs.  They'd be able to assign a /64 to
_every hamburger they sell_, not just the stores.  While I'm sure that would
be entertaining, is this a reasonable policy direction?

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin