[ppml] 2005-1 status

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Mon Jan 30 11:24:51 EST 2006

Geography, not topology?

>    6.5.8. Direct assignments to large/multihomed end sites
>
>      6.5.8.1. To qualify for a direct assignment, an
>               organization must:

Are these ANDs or ORs?

>        a) not be an IPv6 LIR;
>        b) meet at least ONE of the following requirements:
>
>          1) Have an IPv4 assignment or allocation directly
> from an RIR, the IANA or legacy registry

No justification is necessary?  The RIRs required justification,
but pre-RIR was classy.

>          2) Qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from
> ARIN under the IPv4 policy currently in effect

In addition to currently-held space, or justifying currently-held
space?

>          3) Be currently multihomed using IPv6 to two or more separate
>             LIR's using at least one /48 assigned to them by each LIR.

IPv4 policy says "intent to multihome" or something like that.  It's
all right with me as is.

>           +-------------------------+
>           | Locations  | Assignment |
>           +------------+------------+
>           |       1-13 |    /44     |
>           |     14-183 |    /40     |
>           |   184-2486 |    /36     |
>           | 2487-33688 |    /32     |
>           +------------+------------+

A 13-site organization needs a million subnets?

>           For organizations requesting an assignment shorter
> than /32 the
>           HD ratio method will be used.  For the HD ratio the
> utilization
>           threshold is based on the numbmer of distinct physical
>           locations that will be using IPv6.  The HD ratio
> used will be the same as in section 6.5.2.2.

I don't understand.  Are you counting hosts (Host Density) or sites?

>         6.5.8.3. Subsequent Assignment Size
>
>            An organization may receive an additional
> assignment when it
>            has grown to include enough distinct physical locations to
>            justify the larger assignment. Where possible, the
> assignment
>            will be made from an adjacent address block.

Why not use HD-ratio?  Or topology?

Lee