[ppml] 2005-1 status

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Mon Jan 30 09:56:31 EST 2006

Randy Bush wrote:
>> So, just to be clear, a site that is multihomed and in one physical
>> location will get a /44 ?
>
> thanks for asking.  this is the bit that confuses me the most.
> i thought that this was precisely where the /48 break point was
> intended.  i am confused here somewhere.

Using the HD-ratio the utilization threshold for /48 is 1 which means a
47 is justified, upgraded to /44 by nibble alignment.  For comparison,
IPv4 policy requires only 50% initial utilization, IPv6 LIR policy
requires 0% initial utilization and at most 0.3% after a few years.
Giving some room to grow helps avoid fragmentation.

- Kevin