[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Jan 27 12:01:10 EST 2006

On 01/27/06 at 11:05am -0600, Bill Darte <billd at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:

> > > It is my very serious and professional opinion that IPv6 is simply
> > > not ready for deployment.  The lack of a workable routing
> > > architecture makes any roll out simply premature and a deterrent to
> > > the future deployment of a real solution.
> >
> > so the question is, given that it's not deployable, how shall
> > we deploy it?
>
> I think this is exactly the right perspective.  Serious early adopters need
> to seriously try to deploy this technology and tabulate the concrete and
> prioritized list of gotchas that make its pervasive debut DOA.  If it takes
> providing PI address blocks to those early interests to early adopt...then
> so be it.

While I'm not sure I agree that IPv6 is DOA or undeployable, I agree with
Paul and Bill that deployment is a necessity, given the lack of good
alternatives (more NAT, IPv4 titles and markets, etc.).

So what do IPv6 skeptics think about IPv6 PI allocations?  Should we avoid
them entirely?  Make them using similar rules to IPv4 PI?  Or something
else?  Do you even care, since you think IPv6 won't work anyway?

-Scott