[ppml] 2005-1 status

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jan 25 08:22:15 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Bill Darte wrote:

> Nice post.... focuses attention on renumbering.
> I reiterate Scott's inquiry into the 'real' issues of renumbering
> difficulty...
> Is it total numbers of devices, statically addresses servers, firewall
> configs, router configs.
> What makes it hard to renumber?

Human factor. If renumbering could be done easily enough as was
for example envisioned with A6, then I think using provider ip
addresses would be seen as less of a problem. I suspect that
this would actually be sold with shim6, but not in the way shim6
designers want it but rather that shim6 addresses would be used
in a way similar to NAT as private ips on entire lan.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net