[ppml] 2005-1 status

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Jan 23 22:37:35 EST 2006

There is pressure for consolidation in the existing markets, yes. At the
same time I suspect that the level of provider care and attention to some
of the common issues, including routing table size will decline due to the
price pressures on the providers.  We saw in V4 that the most basic form of
routing bloat pressure was from inattention to routing detail - these folk
were in general not malicious - they were simply following the templates
left by the original installers. This is certainly a more significant risk
factor in an increasingly commoditized  provider environment. (Its not that
they won't care, but they they'll find it harder to fund caring)

regards,

    Geoff