[ppml] PPML Digest, Vol 7, Issue 5

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Jan 18 07:57:25 EST 2006

> >> - the justification is that postal
> >> code is not in fact required for delivery of mail although this does
> >> improve time & eficiency of postal delivery.
> >
> > Street name and number is also not required for delivery of
> > mail. When Canada introduced the postal code, many journalists
> > attempted to send letters addressed like this:
> >
> > Fred Bloggs
> > N2L 4H2
> >

> > And they were all delivered promptly with no discernable delay.

> What is your point?

It's rather simple and I have no idea why it gets you
upset. The point is that in Canada, the postal code
functions in exactly the same way as a US address
with no postal code. Both are SUFFICIENT to get a letter
delivered.

> There's also value in having enough of the address to make it
> possible to
> track the party down for legal process service, if necessary.

No address at all is necessary. The ARIN whois directory
identifies the ISP and legal process delivery people can
get the address they need from them.

--Michael Dillon