[ppml] Fw: IRS goes IPv6!

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Feb 22 21:37:48 EST 2006

On 02/22/06 at 2:50pm -0800, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:

> You just refuted your own argument because all the carriers in your example
> are interconnected. Note I did not say where the interconnect had to happen,
> just that there has to be one because the aggregate will pick up traffic
> that a more specific will not.

Ah.  You want to talk about non-interconnected ISPs?  I didn't include
them in my argument this time, but I mentioned them before.  (If you think
I've missed any other corner cases here, please point them out.)

In short, anyone who buys transit from an NSP will get all of that NSPs
routes, including aggregates.  Peers generally will not get announcements
of aggregates.  As a result, all ISPs in a region do not need to
interconnect: they just need to buy transit from someone who does.
Sounds a lot like what we have now, huh?

> As you note traffic destined toward aggregates will follow whatever path a
> service provider defines to get it to the place where they are willing to
> support additional detail and interconnect with a provider advertising a
> more granular prefix. Those interconnect points can be anywhere and be
> public or private. The only interconnect requirement is that anyone
> announcing an aggregate prefix has to be able to deliver any received
> traffic to someone that can get it toward the destination.

I agree 100%.

> The whole tier-mumble concept also has to be dropped. Too many egos are
> wrapped around that particular axle, and that simply gets in the way of any
> aggregation discussion.

I disagree.  While tier1 status is indeed a lot about ego, it is quite
useful in a lot of technical discussions.  For example, the definition of
a tier1 NSP is someone who peers (interconnects) with all other tier1's.
(I'll leave settlement out of my definition, as it's not useful in
technical discussions, just political and ego ones.)  If you'd prefer a
less overloaded term, perhaps "transit-free NSP" would work.

> It is not possible to 'know everything' at the same time as 'limiting
> knowledge' to manage the routing table size. You either have
> wild-and-woolly unabated routing tables, or someone will have to defer
> to someone else to worry about the details.

Not necessarily.  You can know everything somewhere, while never knowing
everything everywhere.  In my idea of how geo-PI would evolve, all
transit-free NSPs would carry all routes in each region where they
operate, but would aggregate those routes such that each region would only
know full local detail.  Since the packets have to get to the other region
anyway, there's no requirement for full knowledge to be spread globally in
a homogeneous DFZ.  In short, you don't have to trust the details "to
someone else" if you simply trust them to different routers in your own
network.

> This tier-mumble model is forcing all the detail toward the center with
> less at the edges, while scaling the routing system requires exactly the
> opposite.

Agreed.  Right now the more-or-less homogeneous DFZ does exactly that.
But if we enable sane aggregatability with some sort of geo-based PI, NSPs
can split their network into lots of centers such that any one center need
only know its local details.

-Scott