[ppml] Fw: IRS goes IPv6!

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Feb 22 09:35:50 EST 2006

> > I suggest that the ARIN region be divided as follows
>
> The big problem with geo-addressing (which is more or less what you mean
> here) is the big question: Who pays for what traffic and when. Next to
> that people tend to want to do traffic engineering and other tricks
> which are not easily applicable to Geo PI setups.

It is not for ARIN to say who pays for what. All we can do
is to create the possibility and then it is up to the
public whether or not they want to solve the other issues.

> Also see Tony Hain's document about Geo PI (draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-*).

Tony's document and my suggestion are just about diametrically
opposed. He wants to encode physical location in IPv6 addresses.
I don't care about encoding anything more than the general
vicinity of the address user and I only want to do that because
users in the same general vicinity have the possibility of
easily building a network architecture that allows aggregation
of that vicinity into a route announcement. In fact, if the
end user believes that an address from the neighboring vicinity
would serve them better, then I am happy for ARIN to give them
that address. As long as the end user knows the purpose of
assigning addresses out of a reserved block for their geographical
region, then I am willing to let them choose.

> PS: Micheal, could you keep attribution for replies you make to people
> that would make following the thread much easier instead having to look
> up who actually said what on what you are replying to.

Sorry, but I don't care who said what. I'm interested in ideas,
not personalities and popularity contests. I strip out everything
that I feel is unecessary to maintain the context. In fact, by the
end of my message, I have usually forgotten whose words I am
replying to.

--Michael Dillon