[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 16 19:02:38 EST 2006

--On February 16, 2006 3:42:54 PM -0800 "william(at)elan.net"
<william at elan.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> Probably one of the significant hurdles to better use of the RRs is the
>> difficulty of correctly coding things in RPSL.
>
> Really? Please explain to me any difficulties you might have had in
> correctly coding this entry:
>
> [whois.radb.net]
> route:      192.159.10.0/24
> descr:      Owen Delong network
> origin:     AS10565
> mnt-by:     MAINT-AS10565
> changed:    ipadmin at meer.net 20050706
> source:     RADB

1.	I didn't code this entry, so, I didn't have any difficulty at all.
	You'll notice it is maintained by one of my ISPs, not by me.
2.	I'm not sure what your point is, but, my particular situation,
	a single entry with no policy information whatsoever is, I
	suspect an exception rather than a rule.
3.	It might interest you to know that the single AS shown in that
	entry is not necessarily a complete reflection of my connectivity,
	although that is the only one currently advertised in BGP.

In general, coding things up to get them through the RPSL parser and into
the database has, in my experience, been a frustrating exercise in trial
and error with rather esoteric response back from the parser and a lot of
time spent hunting for subtle syntax errors.

Owen