[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Feb 16 18:56:19 EST 2006

[On a less sarcastic note...]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Owen DeLong wrote:

> The rub here is that the RR requires things specified in RPSL and allows
> much finer grained control of routing policy specification.

You do not need to use those controls if you do not have to. The simple
things like what ASN is going to announce that ipblock is very easy to
both enter and understand.

The issue is that RRs at least in North America are run separate from
registrars and there is no way to be certain that whoever entered
something in RR is authorized to have done it.

> However, perhaps we should look into generating a simplified process for
> creating RPSL to simply define valid origin ASs for a given prefix and
> make that available to registrants.

The process is available to registrants. Most of us don't use it unless
we begin to do peering on such a scale where it matters.

What RPSL needs to see wider use is marketing toward both the ISPs that
can use it for filtering and ASN holders. Another issue is also that RRs
get to be out of date where as whois is slightly better maintained. Both
of those are primarily due to human factors.

> Probably one of the significant hurdles to better use of the RRs is the
> difficulty of correctly coding things in RPSL.

RPSL is no more difficult then SWIP templates are. And there are mote
tools available for it.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks