[ppml] Geo PI (draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-*)

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Feb 15 09:18:39 EST 2006

Tony,

I think a get-started approach is what's needed.  In my opinion this kind
of approach should avoid any additional restrictions, but would simply
direct ARIN to take into account geography in deciding *which* netblock
(not how large a netblock) to assign to an org.  The simplest case (and
therefore the easiest to get consensus for) would be to have ARIN take the
street address of the applicant, geo-locate that with available tools like
Google|Yahoo Maps, Mapquest, etc., and then allocate the nearest netblock
of the required size.

In order for this to be possible, it would seem that we'd first need to
get your Internet-Draft through the standards process and get IANA to
allocate a netblock like 1000::/4 for allocation in a geographic manner.
This probably couldn't be done by the cutoff for ARIN 17 (Montreal)
policy proposals, but do you think we'd be in a position to make a policy
proposal for consideration at ARIN 18?  If so, it should be rather simple
IMO to modify any PI policy approved at ARIN 17 to add get-started geo
language...

-Scott