[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Feb 13 11:53:37 EST 2006

> Understand that I'm mostly arguing to tease out specifics, and not
because
> I'm really this ornery.

ditto.

>     > We could mandate ARIN to operate an authoritative route
>     > registry that does not mirror any other route registry.
> Isn't that how it's already run?

I don't use it so I don't know. But I do know that
RRs can and do mirror entries from other RRs. I don't
think that is good for ARIN to do unless they mirror
other RIR RRs.

>     > We could mandate address block holders to file information
>     > in the ARIN RR and keep that information up to date.
> What's the carrot?  What's the stick?  Could they submit anything, or
> would it have to somehow relate to reality?  Whose job is it to check on

> that?

Seems to me that there is not much carrot to encourage
up to date whois listings either. In any case, the carrot
here is that we need a 3rd party to collect and disseminate
information about which routes are correct if they appear
in BGP announcements. ARIN seems to be an ideal 3rd party
because of their pre-existing relationship with all ASN
holders and all holders of address blocks. If ARIN and its
membership accept this role, then I believe it should be
ARIN's job to check the quality of the data going into
the RR to ensure that it is as clean as possible.

I thnk Sandra's policy has the germ of a good idea in it,
but the effort would be better spent in revitalizing the
RR rather than adding this info to whois.

--Michael Dillon