[ppml] Proposed Policy: Capturing Originations in Templates

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Feb 13 10:54:51 EST 2006

Understand that I'm mostly arguing to tease out specifics, and not because
I'm really this ornery.

      On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
    > We could mandate ARIN to operate an authoritative route
    > registry that does not mirror any other route registry.

Isn't that how it's already run?

http://www.arin.net/registration/route_reg/
http://www.arin.net/education/faq/rr.html

I don't see any indication that records enter the registry via any method
other than direct user submission right now.

    > We could mandate address block holders to file information
    > in the ARIN RR and keep that information up to date.

What's the carrot?  What's the stick?  Could they submit anything, or
would it have to somehow relate to reality?  Whose job is it to check on
that?

    > If we did this then there would be no need to add new fields
    > to the whois directory.

That's arguably the case, anyway.

    > So I guess I am arguing that the information requested has
    > more to do with routing topology than with address block
    > ownership

Hm.  I hadn't thought about it in those terms before, but I see your
point.

    > therefore we should solve it by making changes
    > to routing registry policy, not whois policy.

Yeah, I agree with that.  So much for being devil's advocate.

                                -Bill