[ppml] Comments on revised 2005-1 proposal of 2006-02-03

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Fri Feb 10 10:11:47 EST 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> [...]
>>> additional
>>>          subnets is justified.  When possible assignments will be
>>> made
>>>          from an adjacent address block.
>>
>> Perhaps specifically tie this back to the the HD ratio.
>
> I have no argument with a HD ration tie-in, but then we'd need some
> debate
> on what the correct ratio is.  I don't think the number for ISPs is
> necessarily correct for end sites.
>
>> So, here is a revised strawman based on the comments above:
>>
>> Add new subsection in section 6.5 of the NRPM:
>>
>>   6.5.8. Direct assignments to large end sites
>>
>>     6.5.8.1. To qualify for a direct assignment, an organization
>>              must:
>>
>>       a) not be an IPv6 LIR;
>>
>>       b) meet all of the following requirements:
>>
>>         1) Qualify for an IPv4 direct assignment from ARIN under the
>>            IPv4 policy currently in effect [specifically, Section
>>            4.3, excluding microassignments. Note also that this means
>>            end site must qualify for a /22 if multihoming. Is this
>>            bar high enough?].
>>
>>         2) Be currently multihomed using IPv4 or IPv6 as defined in
>>            "ARIN Number Resource Policy Manual Version 2005.1 -
>>            September 7, 2005"
>
> You don't need to call out the reference, since it's obvious.
>
>>       6.5.8.2. Direct assignment size to large end sites
>>
>>         Organizations that meet the direct end site assignment
>>         criteria given in Section 6.5.8.1 are eligible to receive a
>>         direct assignment.  The minimum size of the assignment is a
>>         /40. Larger assignments will be made when justified using the
>>         existing IPv6 applied HD ratio as given in Section 6.5.
>
> Whoa, now you're saying all end sites deserve at least a /40?  Or
> is that a
> typo?
>
>> Assignments will be made out of a specially designated
>> address block that indicates a direct assignment to an
>> endsite.
>>
>>       6.5.8.3. Subsequent Assignment Size
>>
>>         An organization may receive an additional assignment when it
>>         has grown to include enough distinct physical locations to
>>         justify the larger assignment. Where possible, the assignment
>>         will be made from an adjacent address block.
>
> Now only growth in the number of physical locations justifies
> additional
> assignments?  There may be other legitimate reasons for an org to
> come back
> for more addresses.
>
>> So, what do people think of the above? An improvement? Still some
>> unacceptable points?
>
> I think it's a step backwards; objections noted above.
>
>> Questions relating to above:
>>
>> 1) How many direct /22 IPv4 assignments have been made to date? That
>>   is, how many organizations do we think would qualify? Are we
>>   talking a few thousand? tens of thousands? or?
>
> Well, right off the bat I'd say it's on the order of the number of
> assigned
> ASNs.  How many new folks will go get an ASN to take advantage of this

I think that is way off. I was told a while ago it was
a few dozen at most 2002-3 requests, so that's 3 orders of magnitude
less than the number of ASN. I am sure that
ARIN can provide an updated number.

It is true that most new ASN announced into BGP are from multi-homed
end sites. Here, for example, are the
new announcements with ARIN handles for the month of February so far
as seen from here :

   11885         CSI                             [PP469-ARIN]
{RONKONKOMA, NY, US}          CAMP SYSTEMS INTERNATIONAL
   17050         MCVP-AS-NO                      [BMI29-ARIN]
{Boston, MA, US}              TAC Partners, Inc.
   22388         TRANSPAC                        [CR721-ARIN]
{Bloomington, IN, US}         Indiana University
   17372         BMO-TOR2                        [AU155-ARIN]
{Scarborough, ON, CA}         Bank of Montreal
   33676         BIVAPR-AS                       [PM380-ARIN]
{Santurce, PR, PR}            WHTV Broadcasting Corp.
   14572         SUAVEMENTE                      [SNO26-ARIN]
{Chula Vista, CA, US}         Suavemente, INC.
   14600         MXL-PROD                        [NOC1845-ARIN]
{Englewood, CO, US}           MX Logic, Inc.
   16936         TECHNORATI                      [TTC1-ARIN]
{San Francisco, CA, US}       Technorati, Inc.
   32287         SOLANA-CITIPLEX                 [PATRI6-ARIN]
{New York, NY, US}            Citigroup
   19666         HENDERSONBROTHERS-MAIN          [ECO22-ARIN]
{Pittsburgh, PA, US}          Henderson Brothers, Inc.
   10851         NREP                            [ON2-ARIN]
{Nashville, TN, US}           Nashville Regional Exchange Point
   10659         SEQUENT-CS2                     [NOCTE3-ARIN]
{Research Triangle Park, NC, US} IBM
   26388         RLMNY                           [JO400-ARIN]
{NEW YORK, NY, US}            ROBINSON LERER AND MONTGOMERY
   21955         TALECRIS                        [TS1177-ARIN]
{RTP, NC, US}                 Talecris Biotherapeutics

(as seen as part of the multicast status page effort, http://
www.multicasttech.com/status )

How many of these are truly multihomed is not clear, but I do not
think that many are asking for micro-assignments.
I do think that the ones that do need them, should be able to get
them. I think that, within some loose filters, they
can be trusted to make that determination.

I do not know if many people are thinking in IPv4 or IPv6, but it
seems clear to me that a lot are
thinking in terms of 1999. Those days are gone.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks