[ppml] alternative to 2005-1

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Thu Feb 9 16:04:03 EST 2006

Hi Dan,

On Feb 9, 2006, at 13:58, Daniel Golding wrote:

> The world is different now, than in the IPng days. Enterprises,
> governments,
> providers, and individuals now utilize the Internet for a plethora of
> economic and personal applications. There is no longer a clean slate.
>
> Way too much of this discussion ignores this. If IPv6 PI space isn't
> available, is more difficult to get, or there are more hoops to jump
> through, there will be no IPv6, as we know now it.

Statements like that tell me that we are still thinking in IPv4
terms.  This is precisely why this discussion is happening, because
we _need_ to think in non-IPv4 terms.  If we are constrained by how
things work in the IPv4 world then you are correct.  However, if we
are constrained by how things work in the IPv4 world then IPv6 will
not be worth much anyway.

Alec