[ppml] Principles for IPv6 PI allocations to end sites

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 9 13:47:54 EST 2006

So....deriving a 'pain index' that establishes a threshold for PI?

Number of hosts to renumber,
Number of Firewalls and other embedded address devices,
Number of available ISPs to choose from(level of competitive opportunity),
Multihoming Experience with BGP,
AS Number etc.,

What factors would contribute to an objective mechanism of establishing
pain....

Or is all else dwarfed by numbers of hosts?

I am not in favor of 'arbitrary' boundaries.  100,000 hosts = PI, 99,000 not
enough pain = No PI?  Reasonable? Justifiable?

Still say that the problem is not with address policy, but with routing
technology/technique.

Why are other parts of the world experiencing growth of IPv6?

Less pain?, Willingness to accept PA?, Smarter geeks?, what?

Bill Darte
ARIN AC