[ppml] Comments on revised 2005-1 proposal of 2006-02-03

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Feb 9 09:25:43 EST 2006

> > I do think that a /40 is about the smallest sized block that I would
like
> > to see given out as IPv6 PI space at this time. Just how you define
who is
> > large enough to justify such a assignment I do not know.
> >
> >   I personaly would rather see unique street addresses be considered
> > as justification for space, more so then number of employees... but
> > perhaps either or... or some combination of both, etc...

> This is a dead end. The last 2005-1 was defeated at the last ARIN
meeting
> specifically because of the 100k host requirement.

I beg to differ with you. Glenn is trying to define how
to justify a specific size of IPv6 address block. This is
something that we have not had to define before since the
IPv6 rules that we now have, only cover allocations to
providers who then make assignments to their subscribers.

In this case, 2005-1, we have to define rules that ARIN
would use to determine the size of a block to be assigned
to a subscriber who comes directly to ARIN rather than
going to an upstream network operator. We are already in
broad agreement that it is justified to make such an
application to ARIN when there is no single upstream provider
to provide a single assignment.

Now, how do we measure justification for IPv6. As Glenn has
pointed out, it is more consistent with IPv6 addressing
design and existing policy, if we count the number of physical
locations. He suggests street addresses. Others might suggest
that we count the number of buildings. In either case, the
ARIN analysts could request backup information to confirm these
numbers.

When you say that the last meeting defeated the proposal due
to the 100k host requirement, you seem to ignore the fact that
Glenn has moved the discussion away from host counting and
into location counting, with presumably, one /48 being assigned
per location. In any case, if we need to justify the magnitude
of the address block assigned, then we need to measure something
or other in the applicant's situation.

So the question is, what do we measure? And what is the threshold
at which an end user orgnization qualifies?

If anything is a dead end at this point, it appears to be the
concept that measurement is unnecessary and a PI block is
justified by the mere fact of multihoming. Everybody seems
to want some measurement, some threshold.

--Michael Dillon