[ppml] 2005-1 status

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Tue Feb 7 05:36:34 EST 2006

> And, as pointed out earlier, this opens up the possibility that every
home
> user that hits up a couple free tunnel brokers can get PI space.  A
policy
> with a hole like that will never pass because it will lead to a meltdown
of
> the DFZ or wholesale filtering of PI space if there's even minor
adoption.

It's not a hole in the policy. If the home user is actually
implementing BGP multihoming, then they should qualify for
a PI address block.

It will most certainly not lead to meltdown of the DFZ. As
you pointed out, providers use filtering to prevent such meltdown.
That's just the way things are and we cannot change this.
We have been asked by providers to make all these PI assignments
from a single aggregate so that they can be easily identified
for filtering purposes. You are correct, that this is likely
to lead to WHOLESALE FILTERING in the event of a significant
level of adoption.

Our policy can mitigate against this possibility by selecting
these PI assignments from geographical aggregates within the
ARIN region. This raises the possibility that providers can
selectively aggregate and filter such addresses if needed.
Perhaps CAIDA's work on POP-level topology could be used
by ARIN to decide how to divide up the PI assignments
aggregate.

In any case, the hurdle of actually implementing IPv6 multihoming,
or IPv4 multihoming, puts enough of a limit on takeup of these
PI blocks for the time being.

--Michael Dillon