[ppml] 2005-1 status

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:30:38 EST 2006

> > 2005-1 expressed a means to accommodate the needs of
> current users of
> > the Internet and doesn't break with the status quo
>
> Yes it does.  The most recently presented draft of 2005-1
> allows any home user who can get a /48 from two ISPs to
> qualify for PI space.
>
> > or break the routing infrastructure.
>
> That remains to be seen.
>
> > I does bring into question whether 'in the longer term', the status
> > quo will accommodate those future needs.  As you suggest
> above, there
> > may be more than one way to remedy those implications and does not
> > attempt to specify any particular remedy.
>
> So why are we specifying PI-for-everyone as the remedy?  Why
> not just give IPv6 PI space to those who qualify for IPv4 PI
> space (for now), and wait until later to give out
> PI-for-everyone only if necessary?
>
> -Scott

I don't think I have taken a position of PI-for-everyone.  I think we might
rather consider our obligation to provide PI space to those who NEED
it...but that the NEED is not solely determined by arbitrary thresholds.
Those who have it now or could justify it under current policy is a 'safe'
starting point for that discussion it seems.....like right where we are in
my estimation.

bd