[ppml] 2005-1 status

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Thu Feb 2 10:50:05 EST 2006

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> On 02/02/06 at 8:31am -0600, Bill Darte <billd at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
>

>>2005-1 expressed a means to accommodate the needs of current users of
>>the Internet and doesn't break with the status quo
>
> Yes it does.  The most recently presented draft of 2005-1 allows any home
> user who can get a /48 from two ISPs to qualify for PI space.

Right now getting two /48's up and running is easier said than done, and
probably not free (at least not for long).  If you wanted to make it
nearly impossible you could require native connections.  Another way to
limit it would be to require the /48's to be from ARIN LIR's.  There's
only about 73 of those online right now.

In any case I expect the fees for PI space (I'm guessing minimum of
$500/yr membership fee if deferred and maybe $1250/yr if not) would
discourage frivilous assignments.

- Kevin