[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Feb 2 09:11:38 EST 2006

Bill and Owen,

What if the IETF comes up with a routing architecture / protocol design
that allows for effective multihoming with PA space?  That seems more
likely to me (in the near term) than a complete replacement of BGP4.

IMO policy should recognize the status quo for what it is: the way things
are done.  If the status quo needs to change, fine.  That's why we're
debating 2005-1.  But I think it's dangerous to make policy with the goal
of breaking things so that someone else will be forced to fix them later.
IMO we should make policy that meets the current needs of our
constituents, and strive to meet their future needs by working through the
IETF process to fix the routing architecture, and then modifying policy in
the future when future interests have emerged and we have a clearer idea
of the tradeoffs.

-Scott