[ppml] question on 2006-2 v6 internal microallocation

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Aug 31 11:11:35 EDT 2006

> > The Global Routing Table refers to the set of all
> > prefixes (address blocks) announced in the default-free
> > zone of the public Internet via BGP4. Theoretically,
> > the routing table in a peering router of any member
> > of the default-free zone will consist of the "Global
> > Routing Table" plus the more detailed local routes which
> > are only found in that member's network.

>    its self referential...  default-free means no default
>    route.

But the term being defined is "global routing table"
so referring to "default-free zone" is not self-referential.
The "global routing table" is a list of prefixes that
are being announced. This is why people refer to using
up "slots" in the global routing table. On the other hand
the "default-free zone" is more like a list of AS numbers.
There appears to be no near-term limit to the size of
the default-free zone other than the 32-bits in an AS number.

>there is zero implication wrt "global" in a default-free
>    network.

Not sure that I understand this. A default-free network is
not necessarily spread out over all parts of the globe. But
it does participate in the "default-free zone" which is
a global concept. And it does consume one or more slots in
the "global routing table".

Some NANOG folks have created a NANOG Wiki to expand on the
existing NANOG FAQ. I have taken advantage of this by creating
two new entries,
http://nanog.cluepon.net/index.php/Default-Free_Zone
http://nanog.cluepon.net/index.php/Global_Routing_Table
Since anyone else can join and edit the content of the wiki,
please feel free to adjust the wording of the definitions
that I have posted there.

Please note, I didn't just copy what I write in one
of my emails. I don't claim to have the perfect
definitions yet. But perhaps a WIKI is a better way
for several people to work towards an agreed text.

--Michael Dillon