[ppml] Policy Proposal 2006-1: Residential Customer Privacy

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Aug 23 04:58:19 EDT 2006

> Realistically, more information than this is a matter of public
> record if the customer has registered
> to vote.

Have you checked this assertion with Elections Canada?

In any case, I believe that even the name of the
person receiving the assignment should be UNPUBLISHED.
If the ISP is willing to assert that the address block
is assigned to an active customer then that is good
enough for me. The ISP is responsible for that address
range unless they delegate the responsibility to a
customer. In this context, delegate means that they
contractually require the customer to take responsibility
and publish contact information.

In my opinion, all assignments should be treated equal.
There is no need for special treatment for residential
customers if the overall policy satisfies Canadian
and US privacy legislation.

An overall policy is simpler to administer from ARIN's
point of view.

--Michael Dillon