[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri Apr 28 05:12:26 EDT 2006

> > What exactly makes you think that documents done as part of the
> > discussions at NANOG/ARIN can not go through RFC publication
> > process?
>
> They can, but what _official_ blessing would they have? (And some sort
> of official blessing seems part of the point, so  that it can
> justifiably be called a 'best current practice'.)

It is totally irrelevant whether or not a routing practices
document is published in or out of the IETF. No such document
will have "official blessing" unless it has been developed
by a consensus of network operators. Once that has been reached,
it is official BECAUSE OF THAT CONSENSUS. Whether vendors and
researchers agree with this or not is totally irrelevant. We
are talking about operational and business practices of network
operators.

These companies know enough about the economics of IP network
operations to be able to assess a COST for the use of a global
routing table slot. If they can agree on this cost and agree
on routing practices, then there is the possibility of charging
for use of global routing table slots. If record companies can
find an acceptable way to account for the playing of music on
the radio, then network operators should be able to solve the
global routing table issue.

But the first step is to come up with a reasonable framework
within which the operators can discuss this issue and build
a consensus. I think that ARIN is a reasonable organization
to host this process.

--Michael Dillon