[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 27 19:41:32 EDT 2006

--On April 27, 2006 6:07:58 PM -0400 "Jason Schiller (schiller at uu.net)"
<jason.schiller at mci.com> wrote:

> Marla,
>
> Currently we filter on the /32 boundry except for legacy /35s and critical
> infrastructure.
>
> I don't disagree with you about providers filtering on the /48 boundry for
> PI either.
>
> But I don't see how anyone can defend allowing PI multihomers 1 slot
> (/48) in the routing table, but not allowing PA multi-homers one slot
> (/48) in the routing table.
>
> Either de-aggregation is an acceptible solution to multi-homing, or it
> isn't.  Whether the end-site uses a PI address or a PA address should make
> no difference.

Deaggregation within a known prefix where it is widely known and accepted
that some providers may not accept these prefixes because they are
deaggregated is, in my opinion, preferable to a wild-west of deaggregates
spread all over the addressing space.

> Secondly, when customers start to whine about wanting to slice up their
> announcement to the global routing table the boundry may slip a bit.

That will be up to the ISPs that accept or do not accept their routes.
ARIN cannot and does not pretend to control this.

Owen