[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 27 15:01:31 EDT 2006

> What exactly makes you think that documents done as part of the
> discussions at NANOG/ARIN can not go through RFC publication
> process?

They can, but what _official_ blessing would they have? (And some sort
of official blessing seems part of the point, so  that it can
justifiably be called a 'best current practice'.)

I can recall no recent document from ARIN being republished as an
RFC. I can think of no "NANOG" document being published as such.

So, in theory, it can be done, in practice you'd have to figure out
the process and logistics for doing so (if you wanted the document to
actually be blessed by ARIN and/or NANOG in some formal sense).

> Note: RFC-Editor is [supposed to be] independent from IETF and can
>        publish documents as individual submissions or you can bring
>        it as individual submission from another group into IETF if
>        you get Operations AD to sponsor it.

And all such "independent" documents typically get stamped with a
"truth in advertising" statement something along the lines of the
following stamped on them:

      This RFC is not a candidate for any level of Internet Standard.
      The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the fitness of this RFC for
      any purpose and in particular notes that the decision to publish
      is not based on IETF review for such things as security,
      congestion control, or inappropriate interaction with deployed
      protocols.  The RFC Editor has chosen to publish this document at
      its discretion.  Readers of this document should exercise caution
      in evaluating its value for implementation and deployment.  See
      RFC 3932 for more information.

See RFC 3932 for details.

Thomas