[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Apr 27 08:24:22 EDT 2006

> The routes in the Internet routing table will likely be more specific
than
> a /48 assuming people want to slice and dice their aggregate to do
traffic
> engineering...

I support 2005-1 and I would continue to support
it if the AC adjusts the language to include the
same language prohibiting deaggregation that is
currently applied to LIR allocations.

In that case, there will be NO routes more specific
that a /48 and PI holders will have no ability to
do traffic engineering in this way.

If, by chance, the AC cannot add this to the policy then
I would support a modification at the autumn meeting of
ARIN. The end result is that PI holders get no more than
6 months to play with longer prefixes before we bring the
PI policy closer in line with LIR policy. At this point in
time, the number of routes we are talking about are small
enough that there is no real concern. In addition, ISPs
could easily block prefixes longer than a /48 if they choose
to.

--Michael Dillon