[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) jason.schiller at mci.com
Thu Apr 27 01:47:08 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> > > As others have mentioned, historically temporary solutions aren't. I
> > > believe that we are making the same mistakes as we did when v4 was first
> > > rolled out with a /48 out of a reserved /44 per PI request. How large is
> > > this PI swamp that is being proposed?
> >
> I think I agree with Aaron here, they just won't ever come back...
> there are legacy /24's assigned that no one can recover today. there
> will be 'legacy' /48's (or 44's or whatever the decision on size is)
> assigned tomorrow and never recovered.

The routes in the Internet routing table will likely be more specific than
a /48 assuming people want to slice and dice their aggregate to do traffic
engineering...  I haven't done a study to see how many slices people
typically need.  One way to look at it is to consider that since /56s are
assigned to soho then maybe this makes the /56 the new /24, and providers
will allow more specifics upto /56.  In other words, small sites will have
just enough PA space to take up one slot in the Internet routing table and
make multihoming work.

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.