[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Ray Plzak plzak at arin.net
Mon Apr 24 23:51:40 EDT 2006

I hope you are not confusing RIPE (sometimes referred to as the RIPE
community) and the RIPE NCC. The RIR is the RIPE NCC. From their respective
web sites:

1. RIPE (Réseaux IP Européens) is a collaborative forum open to all parties
interested in wide area IP networks in Europe and beyond. The objective of
RIPE is to ensure the administrative and technical coordination necessary to
enable the operation of a pan-European IP network.

2. The RIPE NCC is one of five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) providing
Internet resource allocations, registration services and co-ordination
activities that support the operation of the Internet globally.

The RIPE NCC also provides services for the benefit of the Internet
community at large. These services include:

    * Development and maintenance of the RIPE Whois Database
    * Administrative support for the RIPE community.

Currently there is a RIPE meeting in progress, not a RIPE NCC meeting. Thus
it is perfectly understandable, given the above, that RIPE would discuss
routing policy.

Ray