[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) jason.schiller at mci.com
Mon Apr 24 18:04:33 EDT 2006

Lea,

On thing my team has been wrestling with is how we are going to divide up
our PA aggrgegate to do internal aggregation for static customers.

The basic problem is that aggregation and efficent use are at odds with
each other.  We are attempting to stike a balance by assigning blocks that
are large enough to aggrgegate a large portion of space, but small enough
such that if certain regions are under utilized, it will not prevent us
from getting more IP space.

This calculation is affected by the HD ratio unit size (/48 or /56) as
well as the assignment size to customers.

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.