[ppml] Proposed Policy: RSA Modification Procedure

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 21 13:55:35 EDT 2006

--On April 21, 2006 11:56:52 AM +0100 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>> Policy Proposal Name: RSA Modification Procedure
>
> I know this abbreviation has been in use for a while
> however, now that the terminology is to be enshrined in
> policy, I would like to ask the author to change it
> to RS Agreement. The abreviation RSA is already used
> for private key cryptology, and as many learned at the
> last meeting, cryptographic protection of the routing
> system will be under discussion by ARIN for the next
> few years.

Since no policy refers to any brand name and RSA is simply
a brand name for public key cryptOGRAPHy, I don't see any
real need to worry about confusion here.  Almost any TLA
has multiple meanings.  Heck, I find myself having to
work really hard at NRPM (Number Resource Policy Manual)
because my brain keeps going to NPRM (Notice of Proposed
Rule Making), but, we've managed to muddle through that.

I think context will make clear which meaning of RSA
we are discussing.  However, if there appears to be wider
concern about this issue, I will replace the language
in the proposal.

Owen