[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy (ease of use) Was: Re: Privacy of Non-Residential Reassignments in Public Whois

Azinger, Marla marla_azinger at eli.net
Fri Apr 21 13:15:25 EDT 2006

I can support the need for some Residential changes.  But not commercial and not this way.

I can not nor will not support the "collapse" and inclusion of Business/Commercial into this  policy.  If you work as a hostmaster or ipadmin as I do you will have the unpleasant experience of how even a /29 can be used for spam or other abuse issues.  If its being used for commercial purposes then it should be visible who is using it.

As for the residential person that is running a office out of the house.  Cant we just make it simple and allow this type of scenerio to publish a PO Box address instead of their home address?

Moving the size from /30 to /29 is irresponsible and moves us a little further from fighting abuse in a proactive manner and closer to reactive manner.  This is not how I choose to work daily.  I do everything possible to fight abuse issues proactively.

So no, I do not support the following suggested policy changes:
- eliminate differentiation between residential and business
- designate /29's and smaller as private
- reduction of NA postal codes to 3 characters
- creating a confidential/undercover registration clause to allow
   LEA to mask registrations for investigative, intelligence,
   or other purposes as long as they identify these to ARIN
   staff AND ARIN is able to handle such information per FISA, Title III.
   CALEA, and other applicable regulations (IANAL). This
   follows a concept invoked by DMV's related to license plates.
   (and a memory jogging by Heather Skanks - thank you!)

Thank you
Marla Azinger
Frontier Communications

At 12:25 PM 4/10/2006, Divins, David wrote:
>Due to popular demand....Attempt number 3 at an accurate Subject :-)

During the XVII meeting, I talked to the author of the residential
privacy policy, David Divens, and Aaron Hughes, regarding their
concerns over residential and business privacy.

My suggestion to the AC (and proposers) regarding
proposals would be a rewrite to accomplish the following:

- eliminate differentiation between residential and business
- designate /29's and smaller as private
- reduction of NA postal codes to 3 characters
- creating a confidential/undercover registration clause to allow
   LEA to mask registrations for investigative, intelligence,
   or other purposes as long as they identify these to ARIN
   staff AND ARIN is able to handle such information per FISA, Title III.
   CALEA, and other applicable regulations (IANAL). This
   follows a concept invoked by DMV's related to license plates.
   (and a memory jogging by Heather Skanks - thank you!)

My recommendation is based on the following prefix distribution
data that we have compiled based on whois data not older than
2 weeks. It shows that /29 is over 60% of all data and we would
improve overall privacy by X factors. I think it is fair to say that
the vast majority of residences are within /29, and I agree with Owen Delong
that privacy is not an expectation for business whois data.

This is more balanced than a complete masking of location data.
I would like to hear what LEA's think of this, and I would be happy to
consider adjustments on the confidential registration idea.

Current applications of whois data include geo-location, which does
not necessarily rely solely on whois data, but does use it for triangulation
purposes. I think we would be surprised at the list of applications utilizing
the postal code for this, and I am informing other geo-locators of this
proposal and location of discussion so that they may participate if desired.

MASK   PFX

4       2
6       1
7       2
8       188
9       1
10      6
11      13
12      36
13      81
14      216
15      411
16      7287
17      681
18      1399
19      3170
20      6004
21      4794
22      10262
23      19743
24      120053
25      33036
26      38778
27      103976
28      137726
29      847640  (66% of all registrations)
30      184
31      3

Non-CIDR=11078

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com