[ppml] Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Fri Apr 21 10:57:29 EDT 2006

Hello;

On Apr 21, 2006, at 10:17 AM, George Kuzmowycz wrote:

> Marshall Eubanks <tme at multicasttech.com> wrote on 04/21/2006 9:55:47
> AM:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Clearly, I think it would be to everyone's advantage if people (on a
>
>> wide scale) _never_ start viewing PI space as real property.
>
> At the risk of straying too far OT, why is this "clear"?

Well, this is just my opinion, but I think that if IP address blocks
become real
property, you will see hoarding and speculation.

I have said before that I regard a spot market in IPv4 address blocks
as almost inevitable.
In some ways, that might not be too bad (for example, how many people
would  find that they
could give up a few /20's if they could get, say, $ 20,000 for them,
at "only" $5 per address!)
Markets are an appropriate way to deal with allocation of a finite
resource that people use to make money,
and hoarding and speculation are just part of the necessary friction
that comes along with a market.

But, these are "only" numbers, and IPv6 has a lot of them. So there
is no reason for
a speculative market to develop in IPv6 address blocks, and, if one
does, I would
regard whatever policies lead to it as a major strategic mistake.

Regards
Marshall