[ppml] Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Fri Apr 21 09:55:47 EDT 2006

Hello;

On Apr 21, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Thomas Narten wrote:

> "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen at sprunk.org> writes:
>
>> OTOH, it's ridiculously easy to get PIv4 space today (512 hosts
>> and two
>> pipes or tunnels), and there's not all that many companies doing
>> it.  It's
>> not growing much either.  The doors are already wide open for a
>> land rush
>> and nobody is taking ARIN up on it.  Why does everyone assume
>> it'll happen
>> with v6 if it's not happening with v4, which _is_ useful today?
>
> Because today, people are a lot more network savvy, and they now
> understand the potential value of getting real PI space. Moreover,
> anyone who understands history, realizes that getting PI space may
> become harder in the future, rather than easier. Consequently, it
> would be a smart business move to get PI space ASAP, in case the rules
> change down the road. i.e, a rather prudent investment.

No doubt.

That still doesn't explain why more people aren't taking advantage of
2002-3 in IPv4. I think
that this is an indicator that

- there are some small companies that need to multi-home
- the numbers of these is fairly small
- people are not (yet) viewing PI space as real property.

(There are clearly a number of small companies that truly need to
multi-home. Streaming and videoconferencing
providers, for example, probably should multi-home regardless of
their size.)

Clearly, I think it would be to everyone's advantage if people (on a
wide scale) _never_ start viewing PI space as real property. I think
that the best way to ensure that this does not happen is to adopt
2005-1. If there
is a near infinite supply of something, there is no need to hoard it.

> Thomas

Regards
Marshall