[ppml] IPv6 PI space for addressing

George Kuzmowycz George.Kuzmowycz at aipso.com
Fri Apr 21 09:43:57 EDT 2006

"Tony Hain" <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote on 04/20/2006 7:05:22 PM:
> brian.knight at us.mizuho-sc.com wrote:

[snip]

>> I have to say that it seems ARIN and the other RIRs are getting
co-opted
>> into policing the routing table on behalf of ISP's.  And maybe
that's the
>> best way to do it if any other solution would result in massively
ugly
>> peering battles.

[snip]

> Your needs are as valid as any other, and what the policy process
needs
> is
> more input from the enterprise network managers like yourself. Tell
> every
> company you deal with that now is the time to weigh in and make sure

> they
> are not locked out by policies that favor the ISP at the expense of
> their
> customers.
>
> Tony

While I agree that the policy process does appear to need more input
from
the "enterprise" side, it is difficult to reconcile that with the
prevailing
sentiment in the existing forums for that process. In the last week on
this
list alone, I've read essentially the following:

- "We can't let you get PI space because you're too dumb to use it
correctly"
  (Can anyone actually provide data to back that up? Looks like >85% of
ASes
are non-transit -- what percentage of "problems" do they contribute?)

- "Go ahead and get your PI space; when we decide not to route it,
we'll have the last laugh"
  (Doesn't sound like a good business model for ISP's, but then what do
I know?)

- "Go ahead and get your PI space; we'll just submit a policy proposal
to take it
away every year until we wear you down."
  (Businesses like contractual certainties. Certainly legislative and
regulatory
environments in every industry are subject to change and need to be
monitored,
but having to fight a rear-guard battle year after year just to
maintain the status quo
is not a very good use of people's time.)