[ppml] Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

cja@daydream.com packetgrrl at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 11:15:53 EDT 2006

Michael,

The difference between the historic filters that ISPs imposed is that the
longer blocks they filtered were also still advertised via shorter aggregate
CIDR blocks.  This meant that multihomed sites were still reachable although
not optimally.   If an ISP filters these PI blocks when their routers are
starting to die, that ISPs customers will not be able to get to these sites
at all.  The IPv4 swamp of PI /24s was specifically not filtered for this
very reason.

---Cathy