[ppml] Just say *NO* to PI space -- or how to make it less destructive

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Apr 20 10:18:47 EDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>>   1. Each assignment must be accompanied by a recurring fee (at least
>> 1000-2000 USD/EUR a year, preferably 5000+).  This is peanuts
>> (compared to other costs) to anyone who actually needs this
>> multihoming solution.  However, this ensures at least some minimum
>> usage barrier ("those who don't really need this can use different
>> multihoming solutions"), and recovery of the resources back to RIR
>> after the company has gone bankrupt or no longer needs the addresses.
>> If you don't know where to put the extra money, donate it to ISOC or
>> something.
>
> As has been discussed at ARIN, this is a good way to get the government to
> declare the RIR a monopoly engaging in anticompetitive behavior.  I for
> one don't want that.

I don't think that follows, but unless ARIN legal counsel or someone
who is a real lawyer has made a statement here, I'm not sure how
seriously to take this.  Pointer to such official legal counsel would
be appreciated.

That is, ARIN has every right to require, for example, that everyone
getting a prefix is (for instance) a member of ARIN, and charging for
the membership should be OK.

RIRs run on non-profit principle, but nothing precludes them from
increasing the expenses, e.g., for donations to make the internet a
better place, setting a foundation for multihoming research to
actually SOLVE this problem, etc.etc.

>>   2. one-size-fits-all assignments, period.  You get a /48 or /32 (I
>> don't have much preference here), but you must not be able to justify
>> for larger space.  This is to avoid the organization from getting a
>> larger block and chopping it into smaller pieces and polluting the
>> global routing table with more specifics which would get past prefix
>> length filters.
>
> With the current ARIN policy proposal, you'd get a /48, with a /44
> reserved for growth.  Would you advocate giving everyone a /44 up front
> instead?  Or something else?  I don't have too much preference here, FWIW.

I wouldn't object to reserving a /44 just in case, but make no
provisions (at this point) for applying more.  If someone needs more
than /48, it needs to justify another one, and get a separate /48
(with its own reserved /44).