[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy (ease of use) Was: Re: Privacy of Non-Residential Reassignments in Public Whois

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 19 15:31:15 EDT 2006

--On April 19, 2006 9:48:20 AM -0400 "Divins, David" <dsd at servervault.com>
wrote:

>> I strongly oppose this provision.  There is no reason to remove address
> accountability from business orgs
>
> If Whois contains accurate contact/abuse info, how is this obscuring
> accountability? If there is abuse report it to the contact.  A
> responsible ISP will handle that request.  If the complaint is not
> handled to your satisfaction-- block the ISP at the FW level like many
> do to APNIC providers.  Also, you are assuming these reassignments are
> being used for transit services, what about content providing.  There is
> often little to no initiation from content provider based reassignments.

The large number of IRRESPONSIBLE ISPs are the concern here. There's
simply no reason that a business is, in my opinion, entitled to anonymity
of their IP addresses. Unless the ISP has power of attorney to accept
process service of my law suit, the business should have to be listed
by address so I know where to send the process server.

Owen