[ppml] Collapsing Residential and Business Privacy (ease of use) Was: Re: Privacy of Non-Residential Reassignments in Public Whois

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 19 11:01:30 EDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> At 12:25 PM 4/10/2006, Divins, David wrote:
>> Due to popular demand....Attempt number 3 at an accurate Subject :-)
>
> During the XVII meeting, I talked to the author of the residential
> privacy policy, David Divens, and Aaron Hughes, regarding their
> concerns over residential and business privacy.
>
> My suggestion to the AC (and proposers) regarding
> proposals would be a rewrite to accomplish the following:
>
> - eliminate differentiation between residential and business
> - designate /29's and smaller as private

Actually I'm in favor of making /26 as minimum block required for
public whois registration. The data below confirms that this is
good boundary. I suggested similar before too...

> - reduction of NA postal codes to 3 characters

That is also fine. 3 characters is enough for US postal codes to identify
geographic area.

> - creating a confidential/undercover registration clause to allow
>   LEA to mask registrations for investigative, intelligence,
>   or other purposes as long as they identify these to ARIN
>   staff AND ARIN is able to handle such information per FISA, Title III.
>   CALEA, and other applicable regulations (IANAL). This
>   follows a concept invoked by DMV's related to license plates.
>   (and a memory jogging by Heather Skanks - thank you!)

There is too much complexity that you will impose on ARIN if you do it
this way.

I don't think ARIN is using sub-/24 allocations much for registration
purposes so I think just increasing the boundary will be good enough.