[ppml] New WHOIS policy approved

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Apr 19 08:11:53 EDT 2006

> Why?  There is not much of a relationship between the ICANN gTLD
> whois and the LIR whois data and I see no reason that the policies
> should somehow be synchronized.  Domains and IPs are different
> and serve different purposes.

The gTLD whois and LIR whois are twin sisters born of the
same mother (ARPANET). They only diverged when the Internic
was split into separate RIRs and gTLD registries. As fraternal
twin sisters, they share various genetic similarities and
have suffered similar perversions at the hands of commercial
interests.

Now, the ICANN folks are bringing their whois policies in
from the cold, and closer to their original intention.
I think it is highly appropriate for ARIN to do something
similar and expect to see a policy proposal on this in a few
months from now.

Note, that Domains and IPs do share some characteristics.
They are both delegated to an official holder. They are both
associated with Internet endpoints. They are both trackable
within the network infrastructure.

I agree that the policies should not be mindlessly synchronized
however, I also feel that the policies need to be made completely
clear and also be within ARIN's scope of activity.

--Michael Dillon